We hope your first couple weeks of school are going well! One of the good things that comes from school is the return of Alabama football, and we’re going to have a tailgate for you all on September 29 to celebrate the occasion. We also want you to know that we care about your opinions, so if you have any thoughts or ideas on improving the Parker 301 lifestyle, please feel free to let us know.
Thank you to everyone who attended our first Town Hall meeting on September 5 and letting us know about anything you want changed or improved. We want to make Parker 301 the best it can be for all of you — that’s our mission to you.
Reminders and Updates
If you’re expecting mail, don’t be afraid to come ask if we have it! We always love when you guys come to the office to talk to us.
Also, remember to grab your parking decal and gate card from the office so you don’t have to worry about getting locked out when we close the gates.
Tips on Living with Roommates!
Perhaps one of the greatest advantages of living in a Campus Advantage community is the opportunity to live and work closely with all types of people. We know that living with roommates isn’t always easy, whether you moved in with friends or were matched up with new people. Either way, it’s perfectly normal to have the occasional roommate conflict, and there’s actually a lot to be gained from handling a difficult situation maturely and respectfully.
We want to make sure you have the tools to handle these situations should they arise, so check out the tips below to ensure you and your roommates have the best living experience possible this year:
- Schedule a roommate meeting: Set up a time for all roommates to get together and have a proactive conversation about each person’s preferences and expectations when it comes to cleanliness, guests, sleeping/study times, the use of others belongings or food, etc.
- Be open minded: You and your roommates may be very different, and that’s OK! Stay open minded and positive about your roommates’ views and experiences, and you may end up learning a lot about them and yourself in the process.
- Give each other space: Even though your apartment is made for multiple people, everyone appreciates having space to themselves once in a while. Make sure you’re sharing time in common areas and respecting each other’s privacy.
- When in doubt, talk it out: Most problems can be solved by just talking through the issue before it gets out of hand. If something is seriously bugging you about one of your roommates, bring it to them in a mature one-on-one conversation before bringing in other roommates or escalating the situation. Passive-aggressive behaviors won’t help.
- Divide responsibilities: While every roommate should commit to cleaning up after themselves, determine the best way to divide other responsibilities, such as taking out the trash, vacuuming, cleaning the kitchen, etc., to ensure everyone plays their part.
- Use conflict resolution backup: While talking can usually fix an issue in its early stages, sometimes a more structured approach is necessary. If you’ve tried and feel your efforts aren’t helping resolve an issue between roommates, reach out to your Community Assistant or the management team to help you brainstorm options. The management team is trained and willing to help conduct a roommate mediation process if necessary, but is also happy to provide you with tips and tools to handle it yourself.
We want you to have a successful living experience while at our community, but we know that living with roommates can mean an occasional difference of opinion. When roommates decide to communicate their expectations, listen and try to understand each other, and care about each other’s well-being, the many great memories you make will outweigh any small conflict you may have.
Community Events Calendar
- Beat the Mondays — September 10, All Day — Come by the office to grab a delicious chicken biscuit from Chick-fil-A!
- Kicking It on the Green — September 13 @ 4 p.m. — Grab your friends so you can take part in our soccer tournament!
- Script a Lottery — September 21 — Put your name in our famous raffle hat to get some free Alabama gear!